In important cases that can determine the future of your personal records, business transitions, finances, and lifestyle, hiring the proper attorney can make a world of difference. While some instances might seem like you don’t need to hire a lawyer, there are times when you should really hire a professional who understands the ins and outs of the law. Take a look at our seven reasons to hire a lawyer:
- The law can be complex. There is a good reason why lawyers attend school for such a long time: the law is extensive. When starting a business, negotiating a contract, and engaging in events that may result in tricky legal ramifications, it’s vital to hire a lawyer who understands the law through and through to protect your assets and livelihood. Do yourself a favor, and hire a lawyer to advocate on your behalf with your best interests in mind.
- It can cost you more to go without one. Losing a civil case could lose you a great deal of money while losing a criminal case could leave you spending time behind bars. If you want to come out on the other side with your finances in place, hire a lawyer. A professional lawyer could also help you claim legal fees which can also save you money.
- Without a lawyer, your adversary will have an advantage. Individuals without a law degree generally don’t fare well against opposing parties with lawyers. The law can be complex, and without the knowledge and expertise that comes with the experience of a legal career, you are not likely to come out on the other end successfully.
- Emotional detachment. During a divorce, custody battle, or a lawsuit involving high emotions, it can be hard to remain unbiased and focus on the facts. A lawyer can advocate on your behalf from an emotionally-detached viewpoint, which will help you establish a stronger case.
- Attorneys know the correct legal procedures. Attorneys know how to handle, challenge, and suppress evidence. They know the protocols, deadlines, and details of the legal process. Attorneys know how to obtain and file the proper court documents. Cutting corners, incorrect processes, and improper procedures can destroy your case. A lawyer will keep your case on a successful track.
- Prevent legal problems down the road. Prevent issues and concerns down the road by hiring a lawyer who will help you understand a contract’s fine print and prevent legal disasters down the road. Avoid speeding through the process, and guarantee the success and strength of your business negotiations and deals.
- Access to a network of professionals. If you are in need of a private detective or expert witness, would you know who to turn to? Would you know who to turn to discover and challenge evidence? Attorneys rely on an expansive network of professionals to support their cases.
At Smith, Paulson, O’Donnell & Erickson, we have over 100 years of combined experience. Our attorneys provide expert legal care for criminal defense, employment and labor, family law, mediation services, personal injuries, real estate, wills and probate, and more. For more information on our services, visit our website.